Our Mission Statement:
The Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society promotes an appreciation of local history so that the past may shed light on the present and the future.
Activities that advance our goals include:
- Facilitating the collection and preservation of manuscripts, other printed materials, and artifacts relating to the history of Charlottesville and Albemarle County;
- Exhibiting and housing such materials in our society's museum and library which are available to the public;
- Encouraging research of our local history (especially with regards to its relationship to American and International History) by sponsoring such activities as annual essay contests;
- Publishing newsletters and an annual magazine to highlight ongoing historical activities; and
- Conducting programs to highlight our history, including lectures, meetings, exhibitions, and other events such as the annual "Spirit Walk", where history is brought to life by reenactors portraying local historic figures.
Amended by the ACHS Board of Directors, 21st February 2014
Founded in 1940, the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society (Society) is a private, non-profit educational organization (IRS 501 (c) 3) that seeks to study, preserve, and promote the history of Charlottesville and Albemarle County, Virginia. The Society is a membership organization, open to all, and receives no continuing operating support from federal, state or local governments but rather relies on membership fees, gifts and donations, and grants from private foundations.
The Society's research library, administered by a librarian on the staff of the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library, contains over 2,000 books and bound periodicals, as well as manuscripts, maps, pamphlets, newspapers, and vertical files relating to the history of our community. Additionally, the archival collection contains over 1,500 artifacts of historical significance to Charlottesville and Albemarle County in addition to over 60,000 photographic images.
The Society is located in downtown Charlottesville in the historic McIntire Building. Designed in the Beaux Arts style by architect Walter Dabney Blair, the McIntire Buidling was completed in 1921 and donated by local civic benefactor Paul Goodloe McIntire to the City of Charlottesville as the city's first municipal library. Following an extensive renovation by the Society of this city-owned building in 1993, the Society moved into it in January 1994.