Online Exhibit: Rip's 1940s Exhibit
A Selection of Photographs of Charlottesville and Albemarle County in the 1940s, from the Russell "Rip" Payne Collection.
The Cavalier Ladies, a social organization made up of wives of University of Virginia students, had their 2nd Annual Baby Show on the Lawn, on May 18, 1948. President and Mrs. Colgate Darden headed the committee of judges.
After working 2 years in a large Midwest department store, Ed Michtom opened a men's clothing store at 306 East Main Street in 1947. Michtom bought his merchandise direct from the factory and offered the best brands of clothing and shoes, along with tailoring, pressing and finishing services. Michtom's mother was from the Levy family that started Levy's, one of the finest ladies' clothing stores in Charlottesville.
Passing of FDR's funeral train through Charlottesville on April 15, 1945.
In 1946, Charlottesville's Juvenile and Domestic Relations Judge Phil Grove, assisted by a probation officer, held court in a room on 5th St. NE, next to City Hall. The need for professionally trained social workers to help juvenile offenders was recognized, but before the funding for their services was available, the city used the staff of the Welfare Dept. to assist parolees and probationers.
May Day was celebrated annually at most local schools until the 1960s.
On Friday, March 19 and Saturday, March 20, the Miller School of Albemarle County hosted the National Interscholastic Boxing Tournament in UVa's Memorial Gym. The Miller School boasted four boxers seeded in the event:
In 1948, The City News Stand at 116 West Main Street displayed a wide variety of . merchandise, offering not only magazines and newspapers, but toys, novelties, games, hunting and fishing supplies, and sporting goods for baseball, football and tennis.
When Rip Payne took these photos of the Janie Porter Barrett Nursery in 1947, it was the only local day care center that was licensed by the State, though a variety of other local childcare facilities existed. When the Child Welfare League of America did a survey of local day care in 1948, it expressed approval of the Janie Porter Barrett Day Nursery, but indicated it needed a professionally trained executive director.
On December 2, 1947, hundreds flocked to the C & O station to see one of the new super streamlined steam turbine electric locomotives which would pull forthcoming high-speed luxury trains. Visitors were greeted at the station by Miss Mary Butler, one of the first hostesses to enter the employ of the C & O. This train, shown in top photo, was the first coal-burning steam turbine-electric locomotive ever built and the largest passenger locomotive in the world, at the time.