Online Exhibit: Out and About in Albemarle County Exhibit
Take a virtual tour of some of Albemarle County and Charlottesville's historic homes, schools, and places.
This simple frame church located on the west side of Buck Island Road (Rt. 729) south of Buck Island Creek was typical of the rural churches built in Albemarle County in the late 19th century.
The Ivy Depot was located on Ivy Depot Road (Rt. 786) behind the current Ivy Post Office. Prior to 1859, the rail stop was known as Woodville Depot, named after the local Wood family. The site of the depot was where one of Virginia's most important routes, the Three Notch'd Road, later the Rockfish Gap Turnpike, intersected with another north/south road and the where the new rail line crossed the Turnpike.
During the early 1920's Albemarle County began a process to consolidate its many small schools. The Ivy area supported several of these small schools such as the Ivy High School, Garth School, and High Point School.
Looking west, downtown in foreground; Vinegar Hill outlined.