Collection Number: MS 85
Extent: 1 item.
Biographical/Historical Information: The Albemarle Golf and Tennis Club was organized on 1 May 1914 for the promotion of outdoor sports and games. Forty-eight men comprised the first members. The club's membership fee was $5.00 with a monthly subscription of $1.00. Women were eligible for membership upon payment of half of the monthly dues, but they were not allowed to vote in club matters. The club leased the land for the golf course from the Marchant family and purchased the land from the Marchant heirs in 1918. The golf course was located at the east end of Charlottesville, Virginia, along the Rivanna River near current day Meade Park. No trace of the golf course remains today except in the street names “Fairway Avenue” and “Short 18th St.”
Scope and Content: This is the record Book of the Albemarle Golf and Tennis Club, 1914-1922. It includes minutes from the preliminary meeting on 1 May 1914, a list of charter members, and the constitution and by-laws of the club. 1 bound volume.
Access Restrictions: Photocopies not allowed.
Photo: Members of the Albemarle Golf Club, 1921. In the collection of the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society.
Related Collections: See Bluestone, Daniel and Steven G. Meeks, "Paul Goodloe McIntire's Rivanna: The Unexecuted Plans for a River City," Magazine of Albemarle Charlottesville History 70 (2012), 63-88.