Collection Number: MS 90
Physical Location: Archive Room File Cabinet
Extent: 1 folder.
- Kennan, James S.
- Miller, Sue
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions.
Preferred Citation: Blue Ridge Hospital History, MS 90, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: Gift of James S. Kennar, 16 July 1984.
Biographical/Historical Information: The Blue Ridge Hospital was a tuberculosis sanatorium, one of three in the state of Virginia, located at the foot of Carter's Mountain in Albemarle County, Virginia. It opened in 1920 under the name of Blue Ridge Sanatorium. The rise of antibiotics in the 1950s left fewer tuberculosis patients in the hospital, and operations expanded to include other treatment programs such as alcoholism. In 1978 the sanatorium was transferred to the University of Virginia, who renamed the facility the Blue Ridge Hospital. The hospital closed in 1996.
Scope and Content: This is a typescript of History of Blue Ridge Hospital by James S. Kennan, Sue Miller, et. al., 1984. 204p. Includes TSL from James S. Kennan to Dr. Allan Gianniny, President of the Albemarle County Historical Society, 21 May 1984, transmitting the manuscript to the Society.
- Blue Ridge Sanitorium
Record Types: Reports.
Related Collections: The University of Virginia has the Blue Ridge Sanatorium Photographs and Documents [call number RG-31/1/2:43.141].