Collection Number: MS 65
Physical Location: Archive Room File Cabinet
Extent: 1 folder.
Access Restrictions: Collection open to research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions.
Preferred Citation: Charlottesville Lot 35, MS 65, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: Gift, Mrs. Sarah George Barlow, 14 December 1980.
Biographical/Historical Information: Lot 35 on Main Street in Charlottesville was originally conveyed by Thomas Walker and Richard Woods to Andrew Reid in 1783. Reid conveyed the lot to Nancy West, a free African American woman, in 1843. West sold the lot to Eston Hemmings in 1844.
Scope and Content:
This is a collection of legal papers regarding Lot 35 in Charlottesville, located on Main Street.
(1) Jones Receiver vs Lobban, Agreement, with H.H. George. Memorandum of terms of sale of a portion of the real estate of James Lobban situated on the southside of Main Street, Charlottesville, sold by R.T.W. Duke, C.D. Fishburne & Drury Wood, estate commissioners, to H.H. George, 29 November 1877. 2p. Mentions a storeroom occupied by U. Adler, another storeroom occupied by U. Benson.
(2) Jones Recr ch. Nat Bank George to Duke & others commissioners, Agreement. Memorandum of terms of sale of a portion of the real estate of James Lobban situated on the southside of Main Street, Charlottesville, sold by R.T.W. Duke, C.D. Fishburne & Drury Wood, estate commissioners, to H.H. George, 1 December 1877. 3p.
(3) Opinion as to title to property on Main St in Chville Va., bought by Dr. Jno. W. Scribner and H. H. George Esq. of D. Wood & others Commis in Jones Recr to Lobban &c. Abstract of title to Lot 35, Charlottesville. 16p.
(4) Deed between Thomas Wood and Mary S. Wood to H.H. George, 16 August 1878. 2p.
(5) Release of debt owed by Meriwether L. Walker to Elizabeth F. Michie by her heirs Reuben L. Walker and Wm. H. Pryor, January 1858. 2p.
- West family.
- Hemmings family.
Record Types: Legal instruments.