Collection Number: MS 2
Physical Location: Archive Room File Cabinet
Extent: 1 folder (2 items).
Creators/Collectors: Methodist Episcopal Church, South Virginia Conference Albemarle Circuit.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions.
Preferred Citation: Methodist Episcopal Church South Register, MS 2, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: Gift of Ferol O. Briggs.
Biographical/Historical Information: The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was the denomination formed in 1844 after a split with the Methodist Episcopal Church over the issue of slavery.
Scope and Content:
The Methodist Episcopal Church South Register includes the membership and business of Albemarle County churches. Lists of “colored members” are also included for the years 1860 and 1863.
The following churches are in the register: Beaver Creek, Binghams, Cove Chapel, Crozet (originally Beaver Creek), Earlysville, Ebenezer, Gentrys, Ivy Creek, Mount Harmony, Mount Moriah, Mount Pleasant, North Garden, Shiloh, and Wesley Chapel.
Corporate Names: Methodist Episcopal Church South.
- Albemarle County (Va.) -- Church history.
- Church records and registers.
- Methodist Episcopal Church, South -- Virginia -- Albemarle County.
Record Types: Minutes (records).