Dates: 1972; 1982-1987
Collection Number: MS 102
Physical Location: Archive Room File Cabinet
Extent: 1 folder.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions.
Preferred Citation: Hatton Ferry, MS 102, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: Archival transfer through Charles E. Moran, 23 June 1987.
The Hatton Ferry is the last poled ferry in the United States. It crosses the James River west of Scottsville, Virginia, and travels between Albemarle and Buckingham Counties.
James A. Brown operated a store and ferry at the site in the late 1870s. James B. Tindall purchased the store and ferry in 1914, and operated it until 1940, when its operation was taken over by the Virginia Department of Transportation. By 1970 the cost of operation exceeded its revenue. In 1972 Hurricane Agnes destroyed the ferry. James Tindall, Jr. and other Albemarle citizens convinced the state to continue ferry operation. In 1973 a new ferry was dedicated. The Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society took over operation of the ferry in 2009.
Ferrymen who operated the ferry since 1906 include Joe Napier, Bolling Bryant, Monroe Napier, Luther Randolph, Harvey Briddle, Raymond Hackett, and Ned Hocker.
[Information source: The Scottsville Museum, Scottsville, Virginia]
Scope and Content: This is a collection of papers pertaining to the efforts of returning the ferry to operational status, 1982-1987, and acquiring a historic marker for the site.
- Hatton Ferry (Va.)
- Ferries -- Virginia -- Albemarle County
- James River (Va.)