Dates: circa 1944
Collection Number: MS 22
Physical Location: Archive Room File Cabinet
Extent: 4 items.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions.
Preferred Citation: Manuscripts on Subjects of Local Interest, MS 22, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: No file found.
Mary Hosmer Wiley (1914-2012) was a writer and artist in Charlottesville, Virginia. She married Keith Wiley (died 1955) in 1940 and Thomas Lupton (died 1989) in 1965. She owned and operated a certified tree farm, Wakefield Forest, in Earlysville. She also owned and operated a rare and out-of-print book search service, the Forest Bookshop of Charlottesville. She wrote Three Short Stories (1944). Wiley was also a member of the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society.
Wallace Thornwell Palmer (1868-1935) was a Presbyterian minister. Born in Georgia, he lived in New Orleans, Louisiana, Lynchburg, Virginia, where he was a minister at Westminster Presbyterian Church, and Manning, South Carolina, where he was buried.
Scope and Content:
Collection includes a letter from Mary Hosmer Wiley to Dr. Arthur Smith, 14 December 1944, discussing various family events, including the birth of her daughter Victoria Beake Wiley, news about Mary Woodfolk, Nancy Hedges, Bunny and Chuck Kenny, and Mrs. William Wood.
Two short stories:
(1) “The Legend of the Old Quick House” by Wallace T. Palmer. Story is set outside of Lynchburg, Virginia.
(2) “Johnny Yurgen – The Miser of Charlottesville” by Mary Louise Hosmer. Set in Charlottesville in 1825, it tells the story of Johnny Yurgen who sold the best whiskey from his store on court square.
(3) “Notes on the Title to Ash Lawn” [author unidentified]. Gives the sequence of land transactions from the Albemarle County deed books by President James Monroe. Also discusses when the name “Ash Lawn” was used for the property.
Subjects: Monroe, James, 1758-1831.
Related Collections: Three Short Stories by Mary Hosmer Wiley (Charlottesville, Virginia: [unknown publisher], 1944) in PA-180.