Collection Number: MS 687
Physical Location: Archive Room Shelves
Extent: 1 Box.
Creators/Collectors: Rinehart family
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions.
Preferred Citation: Rinehart Family Collection, MS 687, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: Unknown.
Biographical/Historical Information: James Hollis Rinehart (1871-1942) brought his family to Albemarle County and Charlottesville from Covington, Virginia. The Rinehart family owned thousands of acres and owned multiple buildings in Charlottesville, which they rented out. Hollis Rinehart was in the railroad business, a banker, and was on the Board of Visitors for the University of Virginia. Another notable Rinehart in the community are his grandson and his wife. William (Bill) Alonzo Rinehart III was in the insurance business and on the Charlottesville city council. Jill Rinehart was the first city councilwomen in Charlottesville and has a library named after her at the University of Virginia's Women's Center.
Scope and Content:
F1 Correspondence (1 Folder)
– 1912-78 Letters and Copies, Telegraph to/from William Alonzo Sr., Hollis Rinehart, William (Bill) Alonzo Rinehart III, Kitty Rinehart, School Bus Safety Committee, Board of Visitors, Governor Price, Governor Davis, Governor Trinkle, Governor Battle
F2 Financial Transactions (2 Folders)
– Hollis Rinehart Checks 1901-34
-Financial Transactions and Receipts (Railroad, Banking, Gas Rations, Lloyd’s of London)
F3 Professional Papers (7 Folders)
– Government Papers (Statement of Expenditures for the Charlottesville District Road Fund, Statement of Expenditures for the Albemarle County Road Fund, Statement of Expenditures for Bridges, Statement of Expenditures for the Courthouse and Jail, Joint Health Department of Charlottesville, Albemarle County, and the University of Virginia, Charlottesville Treasury)
-Hollis Rinehart Speeches to the Colonnade Club 1916-25
-Battlefield Markers Association
-Papers of W.A Rinehart III (Bill) and Jill Rinehart
-Inspection and Survey Reports 1948 and 1951
F4 Newspaper Clippings and Flyers
-William (Bill) Alonzo Rinehart III, Jill Rinehart, Owen Rinehart, National Bank of Charlottesville
-Military Service, City Mortgage and Insurance Company, Order of the Itching Stitch (Vasectomy)
-W.A. Rinehart III (Bill), others
-Quotes, Cartoons, Byrd for Virginia, UVA Football Ticket Stub, Albert Thompson York, Hovey Slayton Dabney
- Governor Battle, John S.
- Governor Davis, Westmoreland
- Governor Price, James E.
- Governor Trinkle, E. Lee
- Rinehart, Hollis
- Rinehart, Jill T.
- Rinehart, Kitty
- Rinehart, M. Jack
- Rinehart, Owen
- Rinehart, Rodger
- Rinehart, Willian Alonzo Sr.
- Rinehart, William Alonzo III
Family Names: Rinehart family
- The Jefferson National Bank
- The National Bank of Charlottesville
- Lloyd's of London
- W.A. Rinehart and Co.
- City Mortgage and Insurance Company
- Charlottesville and Albemarle Railway Co.
- Gooch Rinehart and Company
- Rinehart and Dennis Company Railway Contractors
- Banks and banking -- Virginia -- Charlottesville -- History
- Jefferson National Bank (Charlottesville, Va.) -- History
- School buses
- Charlottesville and Albemarle County Joint Health Department
- Virginia -- Governor (1918-1922 : Davis)
- Albemarle County Courthouse (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Public buildings -- United States -- Management
- Roads -- Virginia -- Finance
- Transporation -- United States -- Finance
- Governors -- Virginia -- Biography
- Virginia -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Governors -- Virginia
- Letters (Correspondence)
- Trinkle, E. Lee -- (Elbert Lee) -- 1876-1939
- Virginia -- Governor (1922-1926 : Trinkle)
- Virginia -- Governor (1938-1942 : Price)
- Battle, John Stewart -- 1890-1972
- University of Virginia -- Board of Visitors
- University of Virginia -- Colonnade Club
- Lloyd's (Firm)
- Insurance surveys -- Virginia -- Albemarle County
- Albemarle County (Va.) -- Politics and government
- Railroads -- Virginia
- Railroads -- Southern States
- Letters (Correspondence)
- University of Virginia -- Women's Center
- Promotional Materials.
- Legal Instruments.