Collection Number: MS 44
Physical Location: Archive Room File Cabinet
Extent: 1 item.
Creators/Collectors: Williams, John W., III
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions
Preferred Citation: White Family, MS 44, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: Gift, John W. Williams, III, 11 October 1978.
Biographical/Historical Information: The White family came to Virginia from Scotland in the early 1700s and settled in Albemarle, Culpeper, and Orange Counties, Virginia. Among the leaders in Albemarle County were Garrett White, John White, Nicholas Murrell Page, Samuel Overton Moon, Samuel Massie Page, and James Garrett White.
Scope and Content:
This is a bound typescript of The White Family of Albemarle County, Virginia by John W. Williams, III, July 1977. It includes transcriptions of wills, marriage bonds, and deeds, and also discusses various properties owned by the White family such as “Quarter Place,” “Linden,” “Anchorage,” “Pagebrook,” and “Lewis Level.”
The book includes the following subheadings:
- Early History of the White Family Per Mrs. Jenny Grayson
- Marriage Bond Book I, Clerk’s Office, Albemarle County, Virginia
- The White Family
- Will of Jeremiah White – 1777
- Will of Garrett White
- Jeremiah White to Garrett White
- Will of John White
- Children of John White (1797-1877)
- Alfred and Frances White Carpenter and Their Children
- Children of Stephen Alfred and Margaret Teel Carpenter
- Children of Samuel Garland and Sara Cole White
- Nicholas Murrell Page
- Mary Elizabeth White and Nicholas Murrell Page
- Children of Samuel Massie Page
- Children of Robert Lee Page
- Will of Samuel O. Moon
- John S. White, Trustee under the Will Samuel O. Moon
- Children of Maria Caroline White
- Descendants of James Garrett White
- Resolution by the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors
- History of Land upon which Anchorage is Built
- A Brief History of Anchorage
- History of the Lewis Land and of Lewis Level
- The Quarter Place
- Property of Samuel G. White [Cherry Hill Farm, Cross Keys, Oakland, The Grove, and Longbranch Farm]
- History of “Cherry Hill Farm”
- Whites Buried at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Ivy, Virginia
- The Linden Cemetery
Family Names: White family.
- Albemarle County (Va.)
- White Family
Record Types: Albums (Books).