Dates: 1799 - 1986
Collection Number: MS 100
Extent: 1 folder
Biographical/Historical Information: The Widow's Sons' Masonic Lodge No. 60 is one of the oldest Masonic lodges in Virginia. It was established in 1799 in the town of Milton in Albemarle County, Virginia. The lodge moved from Milton to Charlottesville in 1815. They have conducted or participated in many cornerstone layings in Charlottesville, including the laying of the cornerstone of the University of Viriginia (then known as Central College, 1817), and many churches in the area. Over the years meetings were held in the courthouse, hotels, taverns, churches, and homes. In 1892 the Lodge met at in its own building at the corner of Fifth and East Main Street. The Lodge opened its new temple on at the same site in 1960.
Scope and Content: Material pertaining to the history and membership of the Charlottesville, Virginia Masonic Lodge. Included is a sermon by the Rev. Harry B. Lee, delivered 11 December 1899, on the occasion of the unveiling of a tablet to the Rev. Frederick W. Hatch, the Lodge's first chaplain and the first Rector of Christ Episcopal Church. Included is a compilation of the membership list through 1986, 54p. Many of the members were early Charlottesville leaders.