Collection Number: MS 96
Extent: 5 folders; approximately 2500 items.
Biographical/Historical Information: The City of Charlottesville (Va.) began a preservation planning program in 1959 with the Architectural Design Control Ordinance, which established a restricted design district around the historic Court Square. The City Council then created the Historic Landmarks Commission in 1973 to survey historic properties in the City and to propose new historic districts. The Commission published the Landmark Study in 1976.
Scope and Content: This collection of six folders contains correspondence, surveys, records and other material of the Charlottesville Historic Landmarks Commission, along with papers of University of Virginia Professor K. Edward Lay as a member and chairman of the Commission.
Folder 1: January 1975 – December 1977
Folder 2: January 1978 – December 1979
Folder 3: April 1983 – October 1984
Folder 4: January 1980 – May 1983
Folder 5: September 1984 – May 1987
Folder 6: March 1976 – December 1983