Dates: 1831 - 1984
Collection Number: MS 99
Extent: 2 volumes
Biographical/Historical Information: The First Baptist Church of Charlottesville was organized in 1831 with 31 members. The first church building was at the corner of Fourth and East Jefferson Streets. The second building was built in the early 1850s at the corner of Second and East Jefferson Streets. The building was replaced by a new structure in 1904. Other buildings were added to the site in 1924, 1952, 1955, and 1959. The church acquired the property at 735 Park Street in 1965 and constructed a new building there in 1976.
Scope and Content: Unpublished manuscript of the history of the First Baptist Church, 735 Park Street, Charlottesville, Virginia compiled by Neil A. Benfer, Church Historian. Volume 1 covers 1831-1945. Volume 2 covers 1945-1983.