Collection Number: MS 312
Physical Location: Archive Room File Cabinet
Extent: 1 folder (4 items).
Access Restrictions: Collection is open for research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions.
Preferred Citation: Levy Opera House Programs, MS 312, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: Unknown.
Biographical/Historical Information: The Levy Opera House was built in 1851 at the corner of 350 Park Street in Charlottesville, Virginia. It was constructed as a town hall to seat 600 people. The first opera was staged in 1861. In 1887 the building was purchased by Jefferson Levy. He renovated it and reopened it as an opera house. It closed as a opera house in 1912.
Scope and Content: This is a collection of four programs from various performances at the Levy Opera House. It includes Janauschek (4 October 1888), Pawn Ticket 210 (undated), Sol Smith Russell in Bewitched by Edward E. Kidder (undated), and Staunton Operatic and Dramatic Association in Crimes of Normandy (18 April 1888).
Corporate Names: Levy Opera House (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Levy Opera House (Charlottesville, Va.)
- Theater programs
Record Types: Theatre programs.