Dates: 1905-06, 1985
Collection Number: MS 113
Physical Location: Archive Room File Cabinet
Extent: 1 folder.
Access Restrictions: Collection is open to research.
User Restrictions: No restrictions.
Preferred Citation: Woolen Mills School Photograph, MS 113, Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society, Charlottesville, Va.
Acquisition Information: Gift, Allan Gianinny, Jr., University of Virginia, School of Engineering, Charlottesville, Va., November 1987.
The Charlottesville Woolen Mills community was an independent company town for the Charlottesville Woolen Mills. The community comprised of homes for the factory workers, a community store, a chapel, and a school. The area was annexed by the City of Charlottesville in 1963, after the closing of the mill in 1962 (Albemarle County retains the original Woolen Mills factory).
The Woolen Mills School was located at 1701 E. Market Street. The mill purchased the house in 1901 and it was operated as a public school by the county. The school initially offered seven grades. In 1920, the county sent children grades fourth through seventh to the new McGuffey School, while the first three grades remained at the Woolen Mills School. The school closed in 1937.
Scope and Content: This is a group of materials relating to the ACHS's effort in identification of faculty and students in a circa 1905 photograph of the Woolen Mills School in Charlottesville, Virginia. The original photograph is in the ACHS photograph collection.
- 1. Charlottesville - Woolen Mills.
- 2. Public Schools - Virginia - Charlotteville.